Thursday, February 14, 2008

Broken cups

Two steadfast coffee cups, morning companions for years, shattered recently

How strange that each of us lost our favorite coffee mug in one week!

They each crashed to the kitchen floor, separately, by accident.

Or was it an accident? Is it time to change containers? Reevaluate vessels? Rehabituate?

And all in Valentine’s season – what is it we really love? Is it the object, the idea, or the function? Is it the feel of a shape on our skin or an idea in our heads?

As the poet Rumi suggests:

Let the beauty you love
Be what you do

There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground


Well, Gordon has a second copy of the Hotel Palace cup I got in Prague on my 40th birthday trip.

And I … I get to use another cup given to me by my friends Peter + Trudy, on the days I’m not using the wonderful one Malcolm gave me with such love not long ago.

We’re re-cupped. In love. And lucky to be able to drink coffee each morning.

Coffee may not taste quite the same from these cups...but it still tastes good.

1 comment:

molarbear's posts said...

nice photos..I too lost a little demitasse recently!

deponti-on-LJ