Monday, April 7, 2008

Hel(en)'s Bells

My brother Mark, mother Helen and I spent a glorious Easter weekend together in Florida
Spring is in the air!

And my brother Mark and I visited our mother, Helen Silha, in Florida while it snowed and sleeted where we live (he in Minnesota, I near Seattle).

Even though my partner Gordon Barnett chose to stay home to work on creating new bells, Helen asked me to bring a bunch of his bells so she could show them to her friends and neighbors. It's become a tradition to have a spring "bell showing" at her condo on Longboat Key, near Sarasota on the west coast of Florida.

This year I brought quite a few of Gordon's 200+ designs, cast in silver ...

Mark enjoys the people as much as the bells -- as he checks out the sterling silver bells on the dining table

... gold ...
Helen oogles the 14K gold bells on the sideboard above her TV, an original piece of furniture from the 1980's when the condo was built

... and bronze.

Despite a very rainy day, the light was best on the lanai, where I checked out the bronze bells

We enjoyed a great Easter dinner of ham, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and key lime pie with Helen's church friends Dottie and Gladys, and then Mark and I headed to the beach.

Dottie, Helen and Gladys hung out at the condo while Mark and I swam in the Gulf of Mexico

Mark loves to swim in the ocean, and so do I. We didn't get in as much as we would have liked -- but we did take a glorious Easter dip, and as Mark says, "next year!"

Mark contemplates a sand-sculpture sphinx before jumping in the surf (or is that really Elvis?)

We also had a great time at the Selby Gardens in Sarasota, amazed at the orchids, bromeliads, and Buddhas.

Koi ponds, tropical gardens, and great views of Sarasota Bay made it a great place for Mark and me to climb trees and clown around

And since I was born on Easter weekend in 1950, it was great to spend Easter with Helen. Actually, any time with Helen is golden.

One of the 6,000 orchids at Marie Selby Botanical Garden in Sarasota -- don't ask me the name!

And, for those who'd like to see the bells in person, I highly recommend the Vashon Island Artists Open Studio Tour, happening May 3-4 and 10-11!

No comments: