Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring morning

The deck to the Forge, looking out at a beautiful banner made by my friend Ti/Cat


Most of these posts come from the Forge – my writing cottage just steps from the house. That’s why this blog is called “Notes from the Forge.” It’s a place where ideas, words, images, and inspiration forge together into things of beauty (or that’s the goal!)… This morning, these lines came out:
To counter the blues
I turn on the news --
Some folks have it much worse than I

Why turn to vermouth

When you can get truth

All covered with soundbits and lies?

The Forge's tiny desk works for journals, paper, laptop... and it wheels to the deck outside, the window view, or a blank white wall

Doggerel? Well, maybe, but that reminds me 'caterel'-- of our cat, Gertie Girl, who passed on last September. I miss her. I keep thinking I see her out of the corner of my eye. She provided a grounding for most of the time I’ve lived in this house – 18 years now.


Gertie Girl, who with her brother, Bert (aka Betty) Boy, watched over Soundcliff for nearly 18 years -- even during a remodel that demolished most of the house

The house looks pretty darn good on a spring morning like this, especially after we’ve had multiple instances of SNOW the past four days! (None of it stuck, but it’s been damn cold.)
The clear blue sky only lasted a few hours, then clouds rolled in, and by afternoon it was raining that misty northwest rain that sometimes goes on for days.

April is the cruelest month? This year, it’s been pretty cruel, weather-wise. But there’s always another morning -- a sun salutation on the deck, coffee and meditation in the Forge, a chance, on some level, to start over.


It doesn't get much better than Soundcliff on a spring morning-- Happy Earth Day!

3 comments:

Appleblossom said...

most definitely cateral. Ahhhh, I can just smell the cool moistness musting from the moment in these pictures of Soundcliff! Makes me a little homesick. Thank you BB.

molarbear's posts said...

Lovely post...enjoyed the pictures a lot...I have "virtually" visited the Forge and hope to do so in person one day!

haiku curmudgeon said...

NIce post Stephen. Finding a balance between the personal and socio-political which, at least for me, gets munched together often is one of the pleasures I find in your blog.